Nov 13, 2011

Disassembling Canon 50mm F/1.8

Hello again, its been a while.. So, after disassembling my Canon 85mm F/1.2 ..I decided to clean my 50mm f/1.8.

85mm f/1.2
I was probably 1 step away from throwing it in the trash due to how bad it was.
But im happy to report its clean and in better condition than when i bought it "New" from Amazon (fucking ripoff but moving on).

I wasn't planning to write this, so i half-assed the first set of images with my cellphone :-/


Images are clickable for a larger view


Instructions:


  • Pull the two screw at the side of the lens 
  • Push the sides of the contact ribbon in towards the lens 
  • This will allow you to pry the back cover off
  • Use a flat head screwdriver to gently lift it off






















Twist the inner lens counterclockwise.. GENTLY twist it back and forth until it comes out.


  • Clean all the lens elements with Windex or some glass cleaner
  • When it dries use a lens cloth to polish the lens elements
  • Use a blower to clear whatever dust speck might remain






















  • Re-assemble
  • Once the element is in, screw the two screws back in place, then snap the back cover on


Snap back into place


Look at it.. Pristine!
^^ Before i started cleaning it
These are the tools

Umm yeaa, thats it...

Q&A:
Will the glass cleaner damage the coating on the lens?
I dont know. For me its better than having fungus destroy a perfectly good lens

Any more questions/ comments, let me know.
Oh, an disregard the dust thats clearly visible.. thats the next thing to get cleaned :)

1 comment:

Gladstone Taylor said...

Lol, becoming quite the lens technitian there